Monday, February 9, 2009

A Scream in the Night

I heard a pained, panicked scream, echoing far down the dark streets, the deepest bowels of the slums. Not many patrols here, not this time of night. My eyes pick up movement, but it is someone..falling to the ground in a slumped heap. Oh yes, someone else is out and about this night. In spite of their blasted curfew, and this someone was up to no good...seems I am not the only predator afoot after dark.

I turn and head the other way, I want NOTHING to do with it. Hard enough to keep a low profile in this damnable stone prison. I have been trapped in these walls for three nights straight and it is beginning to wear thin upon my nerves. It is like a cat, in a maze full of mice...but unable to partake, because of that big damned blue dog skulking about the city!! Ah....but I digress.

I lingered near the gates, as dusk fell, and people began to crowd the entrance, both coming and exiting, all trying to get through before curfew closed them for the night. I spent all day miserably bored to tears, waiting for my chance. I had a plan in place, when the guard...just came out, and left the gate open, and jogged up the dock. Well, could not let that opportunity pass me by. Out I slipped, through the gate..and was breathing fresh air again, when did my sharp eyes pick up...that bastard dryth...only for a moment, but I am certain I saw him back there. I stepped up my pace, I clipped off the road and into the fields, and left him far behind.

Need to do something about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment