Friday, January 16, 2009

Careful what you wish for.

Immolate - definition: To kill as a sacrificial victim, as by fire.

This is the word that Cymur's priest kept using as he dragged me through the streets of Seahaven, ignoring all who protested against it. So blinded is he, by his own Gods light, by his own self righteousness, he can no longer see clearly at all. He insists that I have 'embraced the darkness' as he put it. Me, who came to him for help, bleeding and frightened, bearing the silver I owed him, that I desperately wanted to pay back. I deeply appreciated his faith in me, but how easily it was lost to him.

I have never broken a law, never hurt a soul, never stolen a thing. I have worked hard, and did my best, and tried to pull myself up from a terrible event that had scarred me since I was a child. And yet, I was harassed, and accused, and no matter how I tried to explain how wrong he was, he would not hear me. He had already judged me because I simply could not believe the words he insists, make his case.

So I found myself, upon my knees, praying for my salvation. I knew this time would come, I predicted that no matter what choice I made, it would cost me my life. And so I prayed, and knew in my heart that I had stuck to my principals, and would go to Annwn with a clear conscience. I even prayed to Cymur, and asked the Great Dragon to forgive his blind priest, for the grave mistake he was making. But Cymur was not the only God I prayed to.

Then, a miracle occurred, unexplained and impossible, but it DID happen. I was delivered, into safety, into the arms of friends, one moment in the hands of my captor, and the next looking upon my baffled Treasure. I am not sure how this happened, but I think I know why.

Now, I am no doubt hunted, and my friends will likely pay the price if I allow them to shelter me. I am now a criminal, simply because he has decided I am. I am to be persued and without hesitation or mercy, struck down where I stand. So, if I am to be treated like a criminal, perhaps I should start acting like one.

People should be careful what they wish for....because they just might get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment